Jefferson Masonic Temple — Centennial Celebration
11 Aug 2012 - 12:00 AM
Jefferson Masonic Temple to Celebrate 100 Years in August!
Jefferson Masonic Temple, home eleven of Chicago’s Blue Lodges and Appendant Bodies, is the oldest building in Chicago dedicated solely to the preservation of Freemasonry and Masonic Tenants.
Dedicated in January of 1913, the land was purchased, and construction began, in 1912.
The Jefferson Masonic Association will be hosting an Open House weekend to celebrate this occasion. Everyone interested in the history of the building, or the history of Freemasonry, with a special emphasis on Freemasonry in Jefferson Park is encouraged to attend this historical event.
THE PLANS ARE COMING TOGETHER:
Saturday, August 4th and August 11th, 2012 – Open House Weekend:
• Displays of the history of the Jefferson Masonic Temple Building;
• Pictures and displays of the history of Jefferson Township from the time of the Great Chicago Fire, how the members of previous lodges banded together to rebuild Freemasonry in Jefferson Park;
• Simultaneous displays of news archives and history of the Jefferson Park and Gladstone Park areas;
• How Jefferson Park Masonic Temple was envisioned by, and came to be built by, the Masons who helped to rebuild Jefferson Park after the Great Chicago Fire;
• Tours of the temple building. Possible lectures on the history of Jefferson Park and the Jefferson Park Masonic Temple Building;
• IL-CHIP Child Identification Program services available: The IL-CHIP program is sponsored by the Grand Lodge of Illinois and administered by Local Lodges throughout the State of Illinois. Recognized as one of the premier child safety programs in the State, we put together everything parents need to help the authorities find a lost child. It’s the most comprehensive program of its kind . . . …and it is FREE OF CHARGE TO PARENTS. Follow this link for more information about the IL-CHIP program which will be offered as part of this event.
Sunday, August 12th, 2012:
• Displays and Historical Information from Saturday 4 August and Saturday 11 August will remain up all day.
• Opening of the original cornerstone, laid in August, 1912
• 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM – Pancake Breakfast
• 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM – Rededication of the Cornerstone and building by Grand Lodge of Illinois;
• Flag replacement ceremony;
• Unveiling of plaque dedicated to those Masonic Brothers who designed and built the building;
• Continuation of displays from Saturday, August 4th and 12th., along with an open house.
* All times and events subject to change, please check back often for the most up-to-date schedule.
Jefferson Masonic Association
5418 W Gale Street
Chicago IL 60630
Serving Illinois Masons Since 1912
5418 W Gale Street